The Science of Cacao
Many people have asked the question – can chocolate actually be healthy? The answer is YES! We'll explain why…
How is chocolate healthy?
Everyone has heard of free radicals. It's well known that these rogue molecules damage healthy cells, which in turn results in unhealthy tissues, organs and eventually, an unhealthy body.
Fortunately, cacao, the nutritional source of Dark Chocolate, is nature's top source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that neutralize free radicals and slow their damage.
Among cacao's most impressive phytonutrients are several types of polyphenols, largely recognized as some of the most powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds known today. The most powerful and prominent polyphenols in cacao are flavanols.
What are Flavonoids?
The cacao bean is in rich in a class of plant nutrients called flavonoids. Flavonoids help protect plants from environmental toxins and help repair damage. Flavanols are the main type of flavonoid found in cacao. In addition to having antioxidant qualities, research shows that flavanols may have other potential influences on supporting vascular health and can significantly increase growth of certain gut microflora in humans. Here are a few more benefits of cacao flavonoids:
- Minimize inflammation throughout the body
- Slow free radicals
- Protect the heart and blood vessels
- Support the immune system
- Promote antibacterial/antiviral activity in the body
- Relax and dilate blood vessels
- Modify blood sugar levels
- Protect the brain
- Preserve cellular integrity
- Protect and repair the liver
- Positively modify hormone activity
- …and much more!
So why are most chocolate products not really
healthy? Primarily because of the way their content is processed. Traditional processing means that the chocolate is heated, alkalized and combined with artificial and unhealthy ingredients, all of which destroys the cacao's powerful antioxidants and degrades it's nutritional content.
Well beyond healthy chocolate
- Proprietary cold-processing preserves antioxidants and other crucial nutrients
- Does not alkalize its chocolate
- Uses only natural cacao butter, sweeteners and other natural ingredients
- Contains no artificial ingredients
- Category creator and leader of healthy chocolate industry
Unhealthy "Normal" Chocolate
- Alkalizing (also called "dutching") neutralizes its antioxidants
- Heating further destroys its antioxidants and other vital nutrients
- Addition of waxes, milk solids, hydrogenated oils and sugar further degrade the antioxidant firepower of cacao
ICT ORAC6: A Seal of Superior Quality
The astounding ORAC6 scores for Beyond Healthy Chocolate various products come from ICT, an independent, third-party analytical laboratory that provides analytical services for some of the world's finest research institutions, corporations, and public organizations. Beyond Healthy Chocolate is now enrolled in the ICT Certified Program, an authoritative quality-assurance system that issues certification to products that have met strict criteria for some of their most popular ORAC6 tests. The program is designed to help consumers cut through the confusion surrounding ORAC6 scores and antioxidant values, as well as to discern which products make questionable claims regarding their antioxidant values.
The ICT Certification Program ensures that Beyond Healthy Chocolate products are tested and meet specific criteria several times each year. This seal will appear on all Beyond Healthy Chocolate product packaging for complete customer confidence.
Change your chocolate, change your life. Beyond™ Healthy Chocolate® is a treasure-trove of vital nutrients and superior antioxidant protection to help you live a happier, healthier and more delicious life.